Thursday, August 15, 2013

OGHAM MOMENTS


This evening the sunset leaked its light from low on the horizon underneath the garage door. I was struck by the patterns etched on the concrete floor and wondered whether 'Paddy the Builder' of our house had left a message for eternity. Ogham script is a particular feature on standing stones in the south-west of Ireland and appears particularly associated with a Celtic tribal group that migrated to Ireland in the 1st Century BCE and used as an early alphabet for the Old Irish language.


Real Ogham stones in the collection of UCC, my old University.



Academic Translation



K NG M I INS

My Fanciful Rough Translation: 

Here (K) is the gathering( cutting/killing) (NG) of the high (neck)(M) branches(I), the branches of the fork(N) of the willow(S).

No comments: